Decorating your home for Christmas is one of the most exciting interior activities of the year but it can feel overwhelming at times. You want to make sure that every room in your home has a touch of festive cheer especially if you’re the host this festive season but how can this be achieved? If you’re looking for Christmas decor inspiration that’s guaranteed to sprinkle festive cheer in every corner of your home then you’ve come to the right place.
In this guide, we take a look at everything from achieving the perfect dining room set up for your guests to creating an oasis of welcome in your hallway to enjoying the cosiest of living spaces. Read on to be inspired by top tips and picks from across the furniture market this festive season, only with ufurnish.com…
The Living Room
The most common place to start with your Christmas decorating, the living room is the hub of the home at Christmas time for everything from watching festive movies to enjoying a turkey sandwich by the fire to unwrapping presents on Christmas morning. This makes it the perfect place to decorate from top to bottom! Pay particular attention to the mantelpiece and of course, the Christmas tree itself as these will become focal points of your room. Our top tips for decorating your living room at Christmas are:
1. We couldn't start our top tips for decorating your living room without mentioning the star of the show - the tree. Take your time in choosing your style of tree, with so many out there there's plenty to choose from. A faux Norway Spruce tree is the perfect tree if you're hoping to achieve the traditional Christmas look while a faux flocked style Christmas tree is a great alternative in a visual sense to a real Christmas tree. If you're looking for something a bit funkier then a pre-lit fibre-optic Christmas tree will be your perfect choice. Whatever you choose be sure to take your time as the tree will set the mood for the whole space.
2. Drape a luscious garland over your mantel interspersed with eye-catching fairy lights to draw attention and create a point of interest.
3. If a rustic style is your thing then hang some stockings on the chimney in the hope that Saint Nick will soon be here...
4. Update your cushion covers with festive alternatives or with traditional festive colours such as reds, greens and golds depending on the theme of your room.
5. Use shapes for cohesion - perhaps this could be a star shape and intersperse this through your choice of tree toppers, ornaments and even wrapping paper.
6. Add depth and texture to your space with the use of log baskets by the fireplace stacked high with logs.
7. Set up a temporary bar, an elegant sideboard or glamorous cocktail trolley are the perfect places to serve drinks from.
8. Go natural with foraged foliage which makes an excellent garland or centrepiece for your coffee table.
9. Dial up the mood lighting - consider how you want this space to make you feel and opt for lighting that lends itself to this feeling. Choose golden hues for your tree lights to create the perfect space to relax in during the dark evenings or opt for colourful lights if you’re looking to create a party atmosphere. If you’d like a combination of both then be sure to choose changeable lights so they can suit any mood!
The Dining Room
Another hugely important, if not the most important space over the festive period is the dining room, particularly if you’re hosting Christmas dinner this year. Bringing together friends and family around the dining table is one of the true highlights of the Christmas season and having a cosy, welcoming space is a key part of setting the scene for celebration. Our top tips for getting your dining room ready are:
1. Use a branch to create a hanging centrepiece. This feature has become hugely popular in recent years and involves the use of a large branch hanging above the dining table adorned with fairy lights, ornaments and eye-catching decorations. Make sure your choice of decorations are lightweight and well secured and hang the branch from an existing light fixture or by using command ceiling strips and fishing wire to prevent any falls during dinner!
2. Get the table ready. The table will be the centrepiece of your Christmas dinner so it's time to add some sparkle. Invest in a pretty table runner, glorious candle holders, luxurious glassware and festive crockery to bring your table up to speed and wow your guests. Trending colour schemes for your Christmas dining table this year include clashing colours such as pink and red, burnt ambers, coppers and golds and pink tones of berry and blush.
3. Dine by candlelight. Candles add the perfect ambience to a space and help to complete your Christmas table.
4. Add some cosiness to your seating particularly if you're using spare chairs or benches by adding faux fur throws.
5. With biophilic design going from strength to strength, make use of foliage in your table centrepiece for a natural look.
6. Hang pretty paper decorations. Instead of a branch hanging centrepiece why not choose delicate paper decorations which are an easy and inexpensive way to add colour and a festive feel to your space.
The kitchen gets quite a lot of activity over the festive period and deserves to be adorned with decorations. Although not as easily decorated as the living or dining room, the kitchen can still have some festive charm. Keep it simple with some string lighting around the window or go all out with red plaid accessories and tablecloth to recreate a traditional Christmas feel. Here are our top tips on adding some festive charm to your kitchen:
1. Keep it simple - swap out your tea towels, cups and crockery for tasteful Christmas alternatives for an instant festive boost.
2. Frame your window or cabinet with string lighting.
3. Add a pop of colour with a traditional poinsettia.
4. Place wreaths on higher cabinets to elevate the space.
5. Make use of mini Christmas trees dotted around countertops or as centrepieces at the kitchen table.
6. The use of a festive scented candle is perfect for adding that festive cheer while removing the smell of earlier cooking.
7. Keep it traditional with the use of red plaid accessories such as tea towels and tablecloths.
Although not the most obvious location for Christmas decorations, adding some elements of festive joy to your bathroom can help to tie together your whole Christmas decor. We recommend adding small touches of Christmas cheer to your bathroom, especially if it's a guest bathroom and you’re hosting. The scent of a Christmas candle, a festive towel or mini decorations will be the perfect addition to this space. Our top tips for adding a Christmassy feel to your bathroom include:
1. Christmas scents - invest in cinnamon, baked cookies, fir and citrus scented candles to create the perfect smelling bathroom.
2. Make use of mini trees and evergreen plants on shelves and corners. Either faux or real.
3. Swap out towels for Christmas themed alternatives.
4. Drape a small garland on the windowsill or across shelving.
5. Add some whimsy with a stocking hung on a towel rack or ornament on the door knob.
Welcome your guests the right way with plenty of cheer and joy. From a welcoming doormat to a traditional wreath and all the other finishing touches, there are plenty of ways to decorate your hallway for Christmas and here are a few of our favourite tips:
1. Begin the festive joy outside with the use of fairy lights, Christmas wreaths and a welcome mat. You'll be the best-looking house on the street!
2. Why not consider the use of outdoor Christmas lights to turn your home into a true winter wonderland.
3. Frame your doorway with mini Christmas trees which you can also decorate with lights.
4. Moving inside, drape garlands on your staircase bannister.
5. Christmas scents in your hallway will offer the perfect welcome to your guests.
Whether your own bedroom or the guest bedroom, the first place anyone wakes up in the morning should be bright and cheerful. Here are some of our top tips for making any bedroom Christmas ready:
1. Add a mini Christmas tree to the nightstand or chest of drawers because nothing screams Christmas like a tree, no matter the size!
2. Swap out your bedding for tasteful Christmas bedding.
3. Adorn your bed with Christmas cushions or throws in festive colours.
4. Hang a wreath from the headboard or above the bed.
5. If the bedroom you’re looking to add some Christmas joy to is a guest bedroom then consider some homely touches such as extra blankets, towels or a hot water bottle to make your guests feel right at home.
6. If you're looking to get your whole home guest ready and not just the bedroom then check out our top tips here.
We hope our guide on Christmas decor ideas for every room in your home has inspired you to add some festive cheer to your whole house. If you’re looking to quickly prepare your living room for Christmas then check out our 5 top tips here or if you’d like some easy tips on creating the perfect Christmas dining room click here or get inspired with 5 Christmas decorating trends here. Shop all Christmas items here.
If you’re looking for even more Christmas living room ideas, you can search, discover, compare and love furniture from 110+ furniture retailers and over one million products with easy-to-use filters and expert advice so you can easily find your perfect item with ufurnish.com.
For more style inspiration to create your perfect home, follow ufurnish.com on Instagram and Pinterest, or to search furniture retailers across the entire market, simply click here.